Saturday, December 11, 2010

Introductions

This is the first post!  I don't know how religiously we'll update this, but we both felt like this would be a great way to really share our experiences here with our friends and family. Not just words but images too! (Be excited...). We would both like to give a lot of credit to James Garritson, who gave us the idea for this blog (Thanks man).  Now is a rather odd time to start doing this as we've been here for quite awhile (over 5 months for Edith and 3 for Stefan), but better late than never right?  Nonetheless this does mean we have some catching up to do, so this will be a bit of an introduction to our life here.

We both go to the University of Sydney, I (Edith) am halfway done with my Masters of International Studies, and Stefan will start his Masters of Mechanical Engineering in February.  A lot of people expressed confusion over why I got here 5 months ago, had school, and now have summer break, but I'm not done yet....  So just to clarify I started at Sydney Uni for what was their Semester 2.  Because we're in the Southern Hemisphere summer break is still in summer, but this translates to mid November to mid February. So I had one semester of classes, now we're on summer break, and then I will finish my second semester for my program next July!  My first semester was really great, the professors for the most part were very engaging, and the topics covered were very interesting.  I definitely was lacking on my knowledge of Australian politics compared to many of the other students, but Sydney Uni is an extremely international school so I wasn't alone in this deficit.  The international factor also hugely benefited the discussions we would have in class because you could get first hand perspectives of views held around the world.  It was a bit like being in a selective UN meeting where we were just discussing ideas and concepts.  There is also a very strong emphasis placed on the Asian-Pacific region, as that is Australia's nearest region, which I enjoy as I focused on the Pacific Rim in my undergraduate studies.
Sydney Uni! We call this building "Hogwarts" for obvious reasons
But much more needs to be introduced and I will stop droning on about my studies!  We live in Glebe, which is a short bus ride from CBD (stands for Central Business District, aka downtown), or you can walk in 20-30 minutes! (That's 20 if you're Stefan and 30 if you're Edith.)  We're a 10 minute walk to Sydney Uni campus, and 10 minutes from about 20 cafes and a few book shops.  We're definitely in the right place! We even have a thai place on our street where you can get Pad See Ew or Pad Thai for $5!  There is also a great market on Saturdays on the main road with lots of vendors who sell old books, handmade jewelry, screen printed T-shirts, vintage clothes and bags, pictures, really all sorts of things!
The Study
Our House! 
We live in a share house which has 6 other bedrooms, most of which are inhabited by couples, so it's definitely a full house.  (The Tanner Family really had it easy in comparison.)  But we have a nice big room that even has a separate small room for the bureau and dresser and a desk, so it's like a separate walk-in closet/study!  None of our roommates are Australian, but we've developed quite a strong French contingent,  as well as some Italians, a kiwi, and some Irish folks!
The Room
We both have jobs, and because it's summer we're definitely in the busiest time of year for our places of employment. Stefan works at a super fancy seafood restaurant in Glebe which has a spectacular view.  He is one of the two bartenders so he makes all sorts of fancy drinks and has even learned to make coffee drinks!  It's a fantastic restaurant and he absolutely loves it, even though he works almost 60 hours a week right now.  I work at a moving company, although they don't usually call them movers, they call them "removalists".  This is not a real word as any spell checker will tell you, and I think it sounds rather ominous.  (I always think of Leon: The Professional for some reason....)  But it's a good job, my co-workers are nice, and it's only 1 bus ride away, so I get a lot of time in to read! (I've turned the BBC Big Read list into my reading list until school starts again if that gives you an idea of how long this bus ride is.)
Stefan's restaurant
But when we both have time off we try to explore the city and visit new places.  Sydney has a big beach culture, so a few times when the weather is pleasant we head to Bondi Beach, and we've been to Manly Beach once.  But there are still many beaches to explore, along with neighborhoods of the city we've never even been to!  

I don't quite know what else to introduce... we've been through where we live and what we do...

So guess what... today was STEFAN'S BIRTHDAY!! He had to work tonight starting at 3pm, so we had a morning celebration consisting of sleeping in, presents and a birthday brunch with milkshakes at the cafe behind our house.  Here's the birthday boy enjoying his day and our breakfasts (I am truly my father's daughter...):















So that's all for now!  Keep checking back for new posts, or if you want to receive new posts via email just click that button on the left that says "by email" under the word Subscribe, or Follow us or add us to your blog Reader, or something if you like.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! thank you! thank you! This is marvelous. Glad to know that Stefan had a great birthday (remember it is early morning here) and to learn that Edith is STILL enjoying reading ( Oh! for the days when a Harry Potter came out every couple of year). When Uncle Richard and I were young your living arrangement would have been called a commune. Love to you both. Auntie Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you've started a blog to let us share in your adventures! It was wonderful to read about where you are and what you and Stefan are doing. The pictures are marvelous and bring everything to life! Happy belated birthday to Stefan! And happy birthday to you, Edith! Love, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! where you live sounds amazing! exactly how are you your father's daughter? it's hard to tell what food is in the picture, but i'm sure that is relevant to the mystery.
    miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sweet! I was just about to message you to see what you were doing but here's the answer. Good luck! I may move to Europe myself. Go Adventure Team!!!

    ReplyDelete